I’ll bet the Marly-Gomont coach had a cow after losing 20-0.
Here’s what we know about the French amateur game, thanks to L’Aisne Nouvelle:
- The starting goalkeeper left after 25 minutes. This is amateur ball, and he’s a farmer. So when his cow went into labor, he had to leave to oversee it.
- The lineup was already depleted by 14 injures. Four 17-year-olds started.
- There was only one sub available: the club’s 61-year-old president.
- Marly-Gomont was already down 5-0 when the goalkeeper left. The rival team, Tupigny, scored five more in the first half, and 10 more in the second.
- The president, Alain Braghéri, somehow found a silver lining: “For me, what’s left is our spirit. What’s more important: Participate by taking a nice pill or simply to withdraw and not play?”
- I don’t know what the expression “a nice pill” means.